- This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Rob Cathy.
2023-01-27 at 10:56 am #862Rob CathyKeymaster
Robert Andrew VAN NOSTRAND 10 Chadwick Street Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, B2Y 2M3
Born: Aug. 20, 1957 at Wallaceburg, Ontario
Frederick Cornelius VAN NOSTRAND
Shirley Frances (MCINTYRE) VAN NOSTRAND
Margaret “Ann” (BROWN) VAN NOSTRAND Aug. 27, 1983 at New Waterford, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Aaron William – age 4 (B: Oct. 16, 1985)
Matthew Stuart – age 2 (B: June 6, 1987)
* I moved to Nova Scotia with my parents at the age of 16 months, grew up initially in Kentville, and later moved (age 5) to the 5 acre family farm in Starr’s Point r Port Williams, N.S.
* I completed 2 years of a 5 year Electrical Engineering Degree course at Acadia University, in Wolfville, N.S. before entering the business world as a salesman,
* I worked in sales for Radio Shack in New Minas for 3 years, then became Radio Shack’s Computer Center Manager in Halifax, N.S. for 5 years, where I sold personal computers.
* Now I sell IBM midrange computer systems for PAL (Program Applications Limited) specializing in multi-user systems for construction companies and wholesale distributors.
* Grew up in New Waterford, Cape Breton, N.S.
* Father is a coal miner, mother works at the local hospital
* 6 sisters: Sandra – Hairdresser, Brenda – 2 Children,
Elaine – 3 Children, Michelle – 2 Children,
Suzy – Banking, Jennifer – Graduated High School this year
* 1 brother: Billy – Ambulance attendant and driver
* Received secretarial science diploma at College of Cape Breton, N.S.
* Worked as Secretary for 5 years before staying home to raise our 2 boys for the last 4 years.
Most of our time is taken up entertaining the boys, a favorite pastime for Ann and myself . This summer we rented a cottage in P.E.I and visited many of the “tourist traps” . I’m still a kid at heart and enjoyed the water slides, rides, and sights as much as the boys . Ann and I enjoyed the play, Anne of Green Gables our second time round! Ann’s parents joined us for a few days while we were there.
Ann is enrolled in/ and enjoying a 1 year CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) program at the N.S. Akerley Community Campus, in Dartmouth, N.S. She hopes to ultimately get work in The Grace Maternity Hospital in Halifax,
I have been working on/off at computerizing all the family trees that relate to my roots. My objective is to simplify the maintenance of, and to standardize the format of all currently known genealogical information information in one place. This will make it easy for others to continue to add to it in the future and print out charts which are relevant for their personal view at any moment in time . I ve standardized on a low cost IBM Personal Computer program. I ‘ve also put together a “pictorial” family tree wall plaque for Dad and Don and want to continue this approach. Any contributions about our family history ( ie : photos , interesting stories, known “experts” and suggestions are most welcome, I hope to learn more at the proposed 1990 VAN NOSTRAND re-union in Vandorf, Ont.
So far I ‘ve had 2 interesting VAN NOSTRAND contacts:
1) In California who is related to our early American ancestors . The name changed slightly to VAN OSTRAND, and NORDSTRANDT in some of their branches .
2) A lady who lives in Cape Breton, who’s New York-VAN NOSTRAND maiden name originates from what appears to be the brother of our 1st known ancestor (in 1638) .
My sales territory is expanding into Newfoundland now in addition to Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and P.E.I. I get to see Bob and Mary and family a little more often now.
Aaron has a very out-going personality, and started attending pre-school, 2 mornings a week this fall. He is obsessed with dinky cars and trains.
Matthew is developing his own personality and is obviously “the shy one”, but he manages to follow closely in his big brothers footsteps.
- This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Rob Cathy. Reason: testing
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.